Sunday, December 17, 2006

I Am Time's Person of the Year

Thank you, thank you. Thank you for naming me the Person of the Year. I appreciate this great honor and I would like to thank everyone who made this possible. No seriously. Time says that "You," as in you, and I and all the other bloggers, YouTubers, and MySpacers in the world, are the person of the year. What an honor.

According to Time, this year has seen a revolution in the dissemination of information. "The 'Great Man' theory . . . took a beating this year" because homemade journalism made such an impact.

Already, bloggers are falling all over themselves declaring a victory for the popular distribution of media. There's a catch, though. As Dan Gilmore points out, the editors of Time chose to name "You" the person of the year rather than "We" including the writers, reporters, and editors of major media outlets.

ClickZ Stats Demographics reports that 50 million Americans visited blogs during the first quarter of 2005, and there are encouraging statistics that suggest that blogs could be used to market goods to wealthy households. However, during the week of December 4, the top five network programs (CSI, NBC Sunday Night Football, 60 Minutes, Deal or No Deal, and Survivor: Cook Island) had 91 million viewers.

Blogs and MySpace are starting to compete with the major media outlets, but they don't have the branding to reach large audiences yet. We've got our Time cover for now, but to get major audiences the revolution has a long way to go.

As if that's not enough, here's what happens when you don't tell your advertisers your plan in advance.

1 comment:

ahem. said...

I'm so excited, I had no idea I had won such a prestigious award! Wait until I tell my parents!