Friday, December 15, 2006

Check your symptoms

Last night, as I was going to bed, I noticed that my throat was hurting. At 3 a.m. I couldn't sleep it hurt so bad and my nasal passages were cemented shut.

My wife made me take these stupid Ricola cough drops (which couldn't possibly help my throat, right?) They must put crack cocaine in those things because I was popping them like an addict every two hours.

Anyway, I got some sleep, but I have to format the citations for all 190 footnotes in my stupid feminism paper this morning. I decided to ask WebMD what's wrong with me.

Apparently, my sore throat could be caused by any one of several varieties of viral infections like the common cold, mononucleosis (mono, the kissing disease - but I'm married), and more rarely mumps, herpangina, or influenza.

Disgustingly, they can also be caused by bacterial infections like strep or even certain STDs. Yuck.

WebMD has a cool "Check Your Symptoms" page where if you answer yes to any of their questions you have to go to the emergency room. I'm so sick of my paper that I kind of wish that I could answer yes, but it looks like I'm okay.

Well, I'd better pop some more of these curiously addictive cough drops and finish my paper. Chao.

No comments: